Saturday 8 October 2011

Space boy quick quilt

What a week! Eldest boy got the stomach bug at the beginning of the week, both husband and I had open evenings on separate days and then we had the School Inspectors in my school! This is the first time since last saturday that I've managed to sit down and write. Phew!

I just had to show you this cute little quilt that I made for bear.  I had never attempted to quilt before. I had aways been inspired to, but just couldn't take the plunge.  I think its because quilts are such large projects that I was scared to try.  I had seen this link on Pinterest and thought I would give it a go.  I bought the Michael Miller space boy fabric last year but never ever wanted to cut into it.  Is it just me or does anyone else just like having pretty fabric and wish they could decorate the walls with it or something!  I was so desperate to use this print but keep it as one big piece that I just very nearly framed it!  So this was the ideal project, I didn't have to cut into it and I figured that if I messed up I would just unpick and get my piece back!



The tutorial was easy to follow, but because it was late at night and I just had to do it  (or else it would never happen!) I used a fleece blanket for an alternative to batting that I had got from IKEA.  It worked great too.  I decided to do wavy random lines as the quilting lines, like the space boys zooming all over the place!  I even had a go at mitered corners. One is done wrong, I chopped off too much fabric so had to botch it but you can't tell.


I am pretty proud that I have completed my first quilt, although a simple one. But hey, you have to start somewhere!  My aim is to make 2 patchwork quilts for the little boys for christmas.  There I've said it so I will have to do it now!

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. where did you buy the Michael Miller space boy fabric? I would love to buy y couple of meters myself and can not find anywhere to buy it.

    ReplyDelete