Monday 19 September 2011

Crochet Cowl and Mits

As I have said before, Autumn is my favourite season.  I love the colours and the weather.  I like it chilly but sunny!  Wrapping up in cozy knits is comforting, it's like snuggling up on the sofa with a duvet.  Seriously I can wear scarves and gloves all day, even indoors (particularly when I'm feeling grumpy)!


                                                                          Source: google.com via Rosa on Pinterest

I learnt to crochet about 6 months ago, and I LOVE it!  Crocheting is so relaxing. I think  it is because it works up quick too, that I like.  I always like to see a project finished in one sitting.  It stresses me out when it's left for more than a day.  That's why knitting has taken a back seat.  Crocheting is also easy to put down.  With little ones around when you have to leave it, you can, and only have to pick up one stitch if its come unravelled.

                                                                               Source: flickr.com via Lucy on Pinterest

The wool I have used for this project I have had since I bought it in the January sales this year.  It's Rowan Classic Yarns, baby alpaca DK, cherry red.  It's soooo soft.  Everytime I have gone past it sitting on my shelf I have to touch it! I am so glad I have finally got round to making something for me in it, (is it just me or does anyone else give away the best stuff they have made!). I have the same yarn in blue and and green, but decided to go with the red as my autumn inspiration.  Lots of the leaves have already turned red in my garden!


I found the pattern for the fingerless gloves here, on ravelry.  Its a simple shell pattern.  The gloves only used up 1 ball of yarn so I decided to try and come up with my own pattern using the shell repeat stitch used in the gloves.  I crocheted (is this a word?) the cowl in the round so that there were no seams to join.  It pulls easily over my head, and like the gloves it is extremely soft.


This set will be my 'go to' set for work, to wear with smart dresses and boots.  Bring on the chilly weather!
Thank you to Rachel from Stitched in Color for organising the Celebrate Color event.  It was the motivation I needed to show some of my projects!  Must think of something for next months entry!

Celebrate Color

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my pleasure! I'm so glad you were inspired to join in. I crochet as well, but never have made fingerless gloves. Yours are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! They are easy to make, and the shell design gives them a nice lacy feel to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how lovely! The shell pattern looks very pretty and I love the color!

    ReplyDelete