Sunday 18 September 2011

Spiced Plum sauce.

I have mentioned in a previous post that my husband makes a lovely Spiced plum sauce/jam depending what you use it for.  I particularly like it with duck.  Sometimes he adds in whole cherries to make it extra special.  At this time of year I could eat it with anything, cheese, meats, breads.  I have even served it with ice cream for a quick 'grown-up' dessert for guests!

Anyway, I have finally pinned him down and got him to write down the recipe for me.  He's one those people who doesn't follow recipes and just bungs stuff in, so this is not very accurate.  So don't be afraid to just change things to suit your taste.

Spiced plum sauce.




2 lbs of ripe plums, stoned and halved
1/2 cup af caster sugar
1/2 cup of demerara sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 dried bay leaf
A scattering of whole cloves
2 tbsp of water
Optional - Whole cherries, dried orange segments

Put all the ingredients into an ovenproof dish.  No need to cover.  Bake in the oven at 200c for 20-30 minutes until the plums have broken down and are soft.
Transfer to a sterilised jar and leave to cool.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment